Thursday, March 5, 2009

Guacamole




I am originally from the Southwest.
I was born in Southern California.
My mother was a gypsy and moved us back and forth from there and Phoenix Arizona.
Anyone who has lived out that way will attest to the Latino influence on food.
SubhanAllah I love Mexican food, and Puerto-Rican food.
Although the latter is attributed to my late grandfather also known as papa bear.
I now live right outside of D.C. I have been to a few Mexican restaurant's, They were OK, but nothing like the little hole in the wall places in Arizona where I could get 5 taquitos, guacamole with the works for $3.50.
I went to a few grocery stores to pick up some guacamole and to be honest, they tasted like crap. I went to allrecipes.com to check out some recipes and wasn't impressed. I wanted something simple, but tasted like home.
Some recipes had way too many ingredients for my liking. Some said mash the avocado and toss in some salsa, uhh ok.
Anyways I decided to just make it up as I go, and it came out pretty good. My grandmother has had the same best friend for more than 30 yrs. I call her Tia(aunty) Rosa. She is Mexican and makes the best dishes, filled to the brim with love.
anyways here is my guacamole.
All measurements are an estimate, I sometimes change it up, to my liking.
1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
3 Tbs. lemon juice
1 palm ful of finely chopped cilantro ( no stems)
3 medium avocado's
2 small Roma tomato's
2 tsp Kosher Salt
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp of cayenne
A few pinches of Garlic Salt ( you can of course use fresh garlic, I just dont like it, so I use salt)
Optional Jalapeno
( I usually use the small basic grocery store Jalapeno)
finely chopped
Mash the Avocado's
Add all the ingredients,stir well.
I like mine lumpy, so I obviously don't stir as much.
***
If you don't like too much heat, just remove the seeds from the Jalapeno.

1 comment: